Transient Student Guidelines
A transient student is a currently enrolled college student who wants to take a class at a college or university that's not their home school. They do this on a term-by-term basis and will not pursue a degree at the transient institution.
We assist transient students from other schools who want to register for courses at Eastern Florida State College (EFSC) on a temporary, non-degree seeking basis — and also help our own EFSC students who would like to take courses elsewhere.
If you are a current Eastern Florida student who wants to take courses at another institution, you must meet the following requirements:
- Be in good standing with a minimum EFSC GPA of a 2.0 or higher.
- Be a degree-seeking student
- Have completed at least 15 college credits at EFSC. If this is your first semester, you must wait until grades are posted and you have a GPA, before you apply to be a transient at another institution. Bachelor degree seeking students must have completed at least 15 college credits (3000 – 4000 level courses) at EFSC.
- Cannot be a transient during your first term at EFSC. You have to have an academic record with Eastern Florida to qualify for transient status.
- Have completed all required developmental education courses
- Have met the EFSC pre-requisite(s) for the requested course(s)
- Requested course(s) that are required for the degree
- Requested courses have been approved by the Office of the Registrar to take at the other institution
- Not have previously completed the requested course with a grade of “C” or better
- Have no applicable holds, e.g. accounts receivable, outstanding transcript(s)
- Students in Limited Access Programs will require collegewide academic discipline chair approval before consideration
You will be approved to take only those courses that you would be eligible to take at Eastern Florida State College. For example, if you have not completed prep algebra, you would not be approved to take MAC 1105 at EFSC or another institution. Courses must be applicable to the degree you are seeking at EFSC.
The Role of the State's FloridaShines Hub
Current EFSC students can use the FloridaShines "Take a Course at Another School" system to request transient courses at another institution.
If the institution you plan to attend is not available on FloridaShines, the EFSC Student Transient Request form must be completed and submitted, for review and approval, through the myEFSC Portal's Student Document Dropbox, attention "Office of the Registrar," prior to registering at another other institution.
Upon completion of the course(s), it is your responsibility to have an official transcript sent from the transient institution to EFSC.
If you are a non-EFSC student who wants to become a transient at our college, see the enrollment steps for Transient Students at EFSC.
Here are some tips on using the online Transient Student Form found at the Florida Shines site:
- Contact your academic advisor for assistance in determining which courses you are eligible to take.
- Have the course information ready (including course prefix, number, credit hours, and title).
- Make sure that you apply in advance of the transient institution's admissions deadline for the desired term and year (check the institution's website to determine applicable deadlines).
- Verify both your current home institution and desired transient institution are using the online version. If not, contact your registrar's office for help. (Note: EFSC can both send and receive the online Transient Form on your behalf through floridashines.org)
- When you've done these steps, then visit FloridaShines
The Office of the Registrar is located on the Cocoa Campus of Eastern Florida State College.
Address: 1519 Clearlake Road, Cocoa, FL 32922
Location: Building 2, Room 202
Hours: Monday - Thursday, 8 AM - 5 PM; Closed Fridays
Email the Registrar's Office: email@example.com
Phone Assistance for all Campuses: 321-433-7300
Monday - Thursday, 8 AM - 7 PM
Cocoa: Building 11
Melbourne: Building 1
Palm Bay: Building 1
Titusville: Building 3