Skip to Content    Skip to Footer

FERPA Contacts

General questions/concerns:
Email EFSC Office of the Registrar

The Family Policy Compliance Office administers FERPA. More specific information may be obtained through:

Family Policy Compliance Office
U.S. Department of Education
400 Maryland Avenue, SW
Washington , D.C. 20202-5901

Family Education Rights & Privacy Act (FERPA)

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974, as amended (also sometimes referred to as the Buckley Amendment), is a federal law regarding the privacy of student records and the obligations of the institution, primarily in the areas of release of the records and the access provided to these records. Any educational institution that receives funds under any program administered by the U.S. Secretary of Education is bound by FERPA requirements. These protections are extended to students who enroll on campus, at off-site locations, and through distance education or any combination of location or modality. Institutions that fail to comply with FERPA may have funds administered by the Secretary of Education withheld.

IMPORTANT: If it is determined that persons other than the student are accessing a student's records in the Canvas Learning Management Systems (LMS) classrooms, the student will be removed from the class and receive a final grade of "F." While students may have provided written consent for a third party to receive information regarding their educational records, that consent does not permit any other person besides the student to complete or access coursework within the classroom or online setting.

Q. How can I have my information flagged so that it will not be released?

A. You must provide a written request to the campus Admissions and Records Office. Once your records have been flagged as "confidential" you will need to provide photo ID each time you request access to your records.

Q. How can I have the confidentiality request removed from my records?

A. You must provide a written request to the campus Admissions and Records Office.

Q. How can I have my information released to a third party?

A. You must provide a written release defining exactly what information is to be released and to whom it may be released. Your release must be accompanied by a photo ID, and the person receiving your information must also provide a photo ID before the information will be released.