Course Waivers and Substitutions
Students may request a course substitution or waiver to satisfy degree requirements for graduation. Substituted or waived courses will not appear on the student's transcript; they are for degree completion purposes only.
A course substitution is used when it is determined that a particular required course could be replaced by another appropriate course. Course(s) to be used as substitutions must have a minimum grade of "C".
A course waiver is used when it is determined that a student does not have to take a particular required course. The waiver carries no credit; it simply means that the student does not have to complete the course. Students do have to complete the required number of credits required for their program of study.
Procedure to request a substitution or waiver
- Student must complete the Petition for Course Substitution or Waiver form and submit it to the Office of the Registrar (OR) for committee review. The OR will make a decision and update the student's record within 5 business days. Accessibility Note: The form may also be used to petition for a course substitution by students with disabilities. Contact the Student Access for Improved Learning (SAIL) team for assistance if needed.
- If the OR committee is unable to make a determination, the petition will be forwarded to the appropriate cluster or program chair/manager. The cluster or program chair/manager will respond to the OR within 5 business days.
- If the cluster or program chair/manager is unable to make a determination, the petition will be forwarded to the Campus Provost. The Provost will respond to the OR within 5 business days.
- Upon a final decision, the student will be notified via EFSC Titan student email.
Courses are waived or substituted for specific degrees only
- A separate request must be submitted if the course waiver or substitution is to be applied to more than one degree.
- A course that is waived or substituted does not appear on the student's transcript, but will satisfy degree requirements in the degree audit.