Credit by Institutional Exam
Credit by Institutional Exam (CBIE) testing, also known as a Course Challenge Exam, is currently available at the Melbourne Campus Assessment Center (MCAC) with seating by appointment only, Monday or Wednesday at 1:30 PM.
Review the Credit by Institutional Exam eligibility requirements and appointment request process below.
Eligible students may earn college credit at Eastern Florida through successful completion of a CBIE, a comprehensive course final exam created by EFSC faculty.
This option is not available for credit in courses for which CLEP or other national exam mechanisms exist, or for a course that has not been identified as eligible for CBIE.
Options are limited to the current exam inventory.
Eligibility for students to take a CBIE Exam
- Student may only request an exam based upon the bank of exams that are currently available.
- Student must be currently enrolled and in good academic standing at Eastern Florida.
- Student must be an active degree-seeking student. If exam is requested to satisfy a prerequisite for admission to a limited access program, the program must be listed as a minor on the student’s record.
- Students may be provided the opportunity for CBIE for those courses where accelerated mechanisms have been identified in the course plans and/or otherwise approved by the appropriate academic discipline chair.
- Student must have completed the residency requirement of 25% of credits for the applicable Eastern Florida degree or certificate.
- Student must be otherwise eligible for enrollment in the course (i.e. has met placement and prerequisite standards, be within the allowable number of course attempts, etc.)
- Student must not be currently enrolled in the course.
- Student must not previously have received a grade of “C” or higher in the course.
- Student must not previously have attempted CBIE for the course.
- Student must have completed the appropriate request form, obtained the appropriate approvals, and paid the appropriate fee.
- Student may attempt the same subject exam only once.
Procedure for student to request CBIE
- Student will contact the office of the Coordinator of Accelerated Learning via email at email@example.com to obtain the Credit by Institutional Exam / Course Challenge Exam form to petition for CBIE. Student completes the student section of the form and submits it to the Coordinator for review.
- Coordinator will review the request to evaluate:
- The eligibility of student for CBIE
- The eligibility of course for acceleration method
- The availability of exam in current inventory
- If the course and student meet eligibility requirements and a test is available, the Coordinator will complete the form indicating approval to administer the CBIE exam.
- The student must then contact the Director of Testing and Assessment at 321-433-5876 who will schedule the exam and post the $50 EFSC Exam fee and the $30 EFSC Service fee to the student's EFSC account.