Skip to Content    Skip to Footer

Dual Enrollment FAQ

Explore answers to Frequently Asked Questions related to Dual Enrollment by clicking each question. Call the EFSC Dual Enrollment office at 321-433-7614, or email We're here to help!

What is dual enrollment?

Dual enrollment is an acceleration program that allows eligible students in grades 6 through 12 to take college courses and simultaneously earn credit toward high school completion and toward an associate or baccalaureate degree or college credit or career certificate at a Florida public or eligible private institution.

How will EFSC’s Dual Enrollment Program benefit you?
  • Gives you a head-start on your college education – with NO tuition and laboratory fees.
  • Permits you to earn high school and college credit at the same time.
  • Enables you to finish your college degree sooner.
  • Saves you and your family hundreds or even thousands of dollars in future college costs.
  • Allows you to take challenging courses in the college environment.
When and where may EFSC courses be taken?

Eligible students may dual enroll in EFSC courses conducted during and after school hours and during fall, spring, and summer terms.

Students can apply to start Dual Enrollment during those same terms, so even a mid-year start is possible, providing the registration deadlines have been met. Courses may be offered at an EFSC campus, online, or at the high school.

Are there college courses/programs that may not be taken through dual enrollment?

Florida Statute 1007.271 prohibits dual enrollment in the following types of courses.

(a) Vocational preparatory and college developmental education

(b)  Physical education courses that focus on a specific skill (such as golf or tennis)

(c)  Recreational and leisure courses that focus on the physical execution of a skill rather than the intellectual attributes of the activity and isolated vocational courses

In addition there are other courses and programs that have eligibility criteria including, but not limited to, age and prerequisite requirements, that preclude participation by high school students. Students should speak with a high school counselor or EFSC advisor for more information.

Do students pay tuition for courses taken through dual enrollment?
No, students who are enrolled in a dual enrollment program through a Florida College System institution or state university are exempt from the payment of tuition, required textbooks, and laboratory fees, pursuant to 1009.25, F.S. The fee exemption includes the EFSC application fee.
How many postsecondary courses may students take each term through dual enrollment?
Students may dual enroll in up to three postsecondary courses or 11 postsecondary credits per semester. Students are limited to one course in the summer term. Students in the Early College program are allowed to take two courses in the summer term.
What are the eligibility criteria for Dual Enrollment?
  • Grade-Level or Equivalent Requirement
    • Public, private, and home school participants must be first-time 6th-12th grade students
  • Cumulative unweighted high school GPA requirement
    • A.A. Degree (University parallel degree) - 3.0
    • A.S. Degree (Career education degree) - 3.0
    • CCC (College Credit Certificate) - 2.5
    • CTC (Career and Technical Certificate) - 2.0
  • College Placement Test Score Requirements
    • College-ready reading and writing scores on an approved college placement test are required for an Associate in Arts and Associate in Science.
    • College placement test scores in reading, writing and math on an approved college placement test must be on file with the college for a College Credit Certificate but do not have to meet college-ready level.  
    • An approved college placement math score must be on file with the college. A College-ready mathematics score is required IF the student wants to dual enroll in a college-level math course, such as MAT 1033, MAC 1105, or MGF 1106, or participate in the Early Admission program.
What are the minimum placement score requirements to achieve college-ready status in Reading, Writing, and Math?

Visit the College Credit Placement Scores chart for current requirements.

Students also may check to see if a specific EFSC course has a test score or other prerequisite by going to the course description in the EFSC Catalog.

Can students who don’t meet the Reading and/or Writing score required for Dual Enrollment take the test again?

Yes. Students may retest two more times within twelve months of their initial testing session so long as there are 30 days between each testing appointment.

While there is no charge for the initial placement test, there is a $10 retest fee for each subtest taken for the second or third time within this twelve month period.

Visit the Placement Testing page for more information about scheduling a common placement test or retest appointment.

What is full-time dual enrollment?

Full-time dual enrollment is an option available to spring semester high school seniors. Check with your high school counselor to see if you meet eligibility criteria. 

While in full-time dual enrollment, students take all their courses at the college and must register for a minimum of four courses that total at least 12 postsecondary credits. Students may not count a course co-requisite, such as CHML 1025, as one of the four courses.

What are the steps a first-time dual enrollment student must take to complete the admission and enrollment process?
Can Career and Technical Certificate (CTC) programs be taken through dual enrollment?

Yes, if the program is approved for dual enrollment by Eastern Florida and Brevard Public Schools. Technical courses provide valuable workforce skill sets and can apply toward college credit certificates, A.S. degrees, or A.A. elective credit. 

How do you select your courses?

Associate (A.A & A.S) Degree Programs: Think about your college and career goals. Select courses that meet both high school graduation requirements and fulfill college general education and/or prerequisites for your major. Your EFSC high school outreach advisor will assist you in developing an academic plan.  

College Credit Certificate (CCC) Programs: Select a CCC program that interests you and can be completed in a realistic time period. Talk with your EFSC high school outreach advisor about course availability and scheduling.

Public School Students: If you are a public school student, please note the following school district stipulations: 

1. Public school students who enter a College Credit Certificate program may not change to another CCC program until the initial program has been completed.
2. If a public school student begins a College Credit Certificate program, and subsequently qualifies for an Associate Degree program, the student may add general education courses to his/her selected courses.

Will dual enrollment courses transfer to other colleges and universities?

Dual enrollment college credit will transfer to any Florida public college or university offering that course with the same prefix and number and must be treated as though taken at the receiving institution.

After graduation, if students do not attend the same college or university where they earned the dual enrollment credit, how accepted transfer credits are applied to general education, prerequisite, and degree programs may vary.

How many high school credits are awarded for each dual enrollment course?

Please talk with your high school guidance counselor and view the Dual Enrollment Course Equivalency List online at the Florida Dept. of Education website. This list specifies the postsecondary courses that you may use to meet subject area high school graduation requirements and the high school credit that will be awarded by your school.

Are high school students expected to meet certain academic standards in their college courses?

Students must continuously meet all dual enrollment admission standards for their selected degree or certificate program to maintain eligibility. In addition, students are expected to complete and achieve an overall GPA of 2.0 in dual enrollment coursework taken during a term.

Students whose college GPA falls below a 2.0 and/or who withdraws from a course after the college-designated add/drop date may remain eligible for dual enrollment for one more term so long as their overall high school GPA, including the dual enrollment grades, meets the admission criteria for the student’s selected program. The student's dual enrollment status, however, will be considered “provisional” and the student must achieve both a college cumulative and term GPA of 2.0 and complete all coursework to maintain eligibility.

A student who fails to meet the above requirements will be ineligible for dual enrollment for a period of one term.

Is the college allowed to administratively withdraw a student from an EFSC class?

Students are expected to follow EFSC rules and policies. The College may withdraw a student for inappropriate and disruptive behavior and the student may lose dual enrollment eligibility for one or more terms. Academic dishonesty, including cheating and plagiarism, may also result in a grade of "F" in the course.

Are special accommodations available for students who have a disability?

As soon as students are registered with EFSC, they can apply for accommodations through SAIL (Student Access for Improved Learning). The SAIL office does not automatically or directly receive any accommodation plans from a student’s high school, so students with a documented disability, 504 Plan, or IEP must contact the SAIL office directly to apply for accommodations and discuss their specific academic needs.

  • Accommodations in college differ significantly from those in K-12 environments. SAIL’s Access Specialists can walk students through the transition to post-secondary accessibility services.
  • Students are encouraged to be proactive in their accommodation requests and to self-advocate for their educational needs.