Practical Nursing Selection Criteria & Application Process
This Career and Technical Certificate (CTC) program prepares students to become a Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN). The deadline to apply is every September 1 and the program begins in January with up to 40 students admitted in each cohort.
Admission requirements are subject to change for compliance with accreditation standards. Review the information below and check with a health science advisor for any admission updates.
Please use the following information about each topic in the accordion to guide your application.
All applicants must take the current version of the TEAS (Test of Essential Academic Skills) test.
Required TEAS scores must be a minimum of 69% in Reading.
Students may take the TEAS three times per academic year. The highest score will be used. Scores for the TEAS are good for two years.
View EFSC's TEAS page for details about on-campus and remote test registration.
This program requirement must be satisfied by ONE of the following three criteria. It's recommended to discuss this TABE requirement with a health sciences advisor:
1. Submit the required TABE scores: TABE (Test for Adult Basic Education - 11/12 Level A) is required by Career and Technical Education (CTE) as an exit exam to graduate from Vocational programs. The required score to obtain for graduation is 11th grade level in all three sections – Reading, Language and Mathematics. Per Florida Statute, enrolled students must complete TABE testing by the sixth week of class so EFSC recommends completing the TABE before admission to the Practical Nursing program.
Applicants obtaining scores lower than the required minimum should follow EFSC's TABE Remediation Process to improve their test scores before program completion. NOTE: The TABE test can be taken only ONCE every 6 months. TABE scores are good for two years. The EFSC Assessment Centers offer on-campus testing for the TABE.
2. Submit a qualifying TABE Exemption form: Review the EFSC TABE Exemption process and if you qualify, work with the testing center staff to obtain the required exemption form. Students must provide a copy of their TABE exemption form by the application deadline.
3. Provide proof of qualifying Degree completion: Students who have already earned an A.A. degree, or higher, will be exempt from the TABE test. Applicants must provide a copy of the diploma, degree and/or transcript to confirm the degree earned. Obtaining a TABE exemption form, that confirms the earned degree, can also be used, and must be provided by the deadline.
Special consideration will be given to any Practical Nursing program applicant who has earned any of the following:
- Completion of a previous healthcare program from an accredited institution
- Healthcare work experience as documented on a Healthcare Experience Form
- Military service (2 years or more)
- Completion of an AA or AS degree in any field
- Completion of a Bachelor’s Degree in any field
- Completion of a Master’s Degree in any field
Follow the steps below, guided by the Selection Guidelines shared above. If you have questions, reach out to Health Sciences Advising.
It's recommended that interested students talk with a Health Sciences Advisor for guidance as they prepare to apply for the Practical Nursing program. They can also assist with questions about the TEAS and TABE testing requirements.
Students with myEFSC Portal access should schedule an appointment using EAB Navigate. Future Students with no EFSC login, use the link below. You will then be contacted via email with confirmation of your appointment.
Applicants must be current students at Eastern Florida State College before they can apply to the Practical Nursing progam. Proceed with this step based on whether you are a New, Returning or Current student.
NEW STUDENTS: For students new to EFSC, complete the EFSC online application for admission prior to the Practical Nursing program application deadline. There is a $30 non-refundable application fee that must be paid before the application can be processed.
Please note that application processing can take up to 14 days due to the current volume of applications. Check your email frequently for your acceptance letter.
In addition, new EFSC students need to
- Submit official High School Transcripts (or GED® scores) to General Admissions.
- Submit official transcripts from any and all colleges attended prior to EFSC (if applicable)
- Provide FL Residency documentation, complete the New Student Orientation, and finalize any other EFSC General Admissions requirements.
RETURNING STUDENTS: Returning/readmit students who have not completed a course in the past year must also re-apply online. There is no application fee for a readmit application. Readmit Students need to
- Submit official transcripts from any and all colleges attended since their last enrollment at EFSC (if applicable).
- Provide FL Residency documentation, and complete any other EFSC General Admissions requirements.
CURRENT STUDENTS: Current Students may move on to the next step.
Complete the Practical Nursing online application after you have become an accepted EFSC student. You will use the EFSC student email
address and credentials sent in your general EFSC addmissions acceptance letter to
log in as prompted to complete and submit the special application.
A $25 non-refundable fee for this application will be charged to the student's EFSC account, which can be paid online or at the Student Accounts Business Office, no later than the deadline.
All application materials and paperwork, including the items explained in the Selection Criteria's Attributes section, must be turned in to the Nursing and Health Sciences Admissions and Advising office on the Melbourne campus (Building 15, Room 101).
All applicants will be notified by mail of their status for the program approximately 8-10 weeks after the deadline. It is the applicant’s responsibility to review the completed application folder to be submitted for admission by the selection committee.
A file ready for the Admissions Committee review must include:
- Online Application to the Practical Nursing Program, with application fee paid online or to the Student Accounts Business Office.
- All unofficial transcripts: Student copy from all colleges and universities attended, including EFSC. Transcripts from other colleges should be evaluated by the Registrar’s Office prior to the application deadline.
- TABE scores or exemption form
- TEAS scores
- Work Experience Form - must be completed by Job Supervisor(s) (if applicable)
- Copy of any current healthcare license (if applicable)
- Military Experience (if applicable)
- One-page essay
- Short answer responses (5 questions)
- 1-3 letters of recommendation
It is the student’s responsibility to ensure that all content is received and accurate prior to the closing application date. Folders that are not complete for any reason will not be reviewed.
Eastern Florida State College is dedicated to providing a nondiscriminatory environment which promotes equal access, equal educational opportunity, and equal employment opportunity to all persons regardless of age, race, national origin, color, ethnicity, genetic information, religion, sex, gender, sexual orientation, pregnancy, disability, marital status, veteran status, ancestry, or political affiliation in its programs, activities, or employment.
EFSC recognizes the rights of students and applicants with disabilities, including those with hepatitis B, under the protections of the Americans with Disabilities Act and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act.