Getting Hired as an Adjunct
Opportunities, Assignment Information & How to Apply
If you're interested in teaching at Eastern Florida State College, the application and your research about potential openings can be done online. Contact the Collegewide Academic Discipline Office of interest, all of which track the need for adjunct faculty for all four campuses. You can also view common, high-demand adjunct needs and salary information on EFSC's online jobs posting.
Before you can be considered as an applicant for hire, you must:
- Have a completed online application on file (once you have started an application, click here to return to it).
- Have official transcripts on file; transcripts must be sent from the reionally accredited
institution directly to the Human Resources Office
- By postal mail to 1519 Clearlake Road, Cocoa, FL 32922, or
- Electronically through a secure delivery method (National Student Clearinghouse, etc.)
Please Note: If choosing to send electronically, DO NOT select "Eastern Florida State College" or your transcripts will be sent via exchange to the EFSC Registrar's Office and will not be accepted for credentialing.
Please Select "Employer" which will allow you to enter the firstname.lastname@example.org email address so the transcript may be sent as an official transcript via a secure PDF file.
- Provide transcripts that verify graduation from a regionally approved or CHEA-recognized institution, with at least 18 hours in the discipline of teaching choice, or that meet minimum qualifications in the technical, vocational or continuing education instructional areas.
- Provide a course-by-course official evaluation and translation for foreign transcripts, sent to the Human Resources Office directly from an evaluation company affiliated with the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services, Inc. (NACES).
- Be credentialed through Human Resources, according to SACSCOC requirements, to teach a specific course in a specific discipline
- Submit copies of appropriate licenses or certificates (when applicable)
Once an applicant has been selected as a candidate for an adjunct faculty position, the candidate is to complete the required employee forms and tasks. Within 30 days after the date of hire, a new employee is required to have a valid Florida Motor Vehicle Operator License as proof of Florida residency.
Questions about any step in this process may be directed to the Office of Human Resources at 321-433-7070.
Adjunct Faculty Assignment Information
Instructional Assignment Forms for part-time instructional personnel may provide for employment by the day, by the semester hour, or by the clock hour.
While the College values the dedication and commitment of adjunct faculty, there is no guarantee the class will actually be held when an adjunct is hired and assigned to teach a specific class. Low enrollment, program eliminations, etc. may affect whether a class will be canceled.
The decision to cancel is usually made within 24 hours of the closing of general registration. At that time, adjunct faculty affected by cancelations will be notified by a phone call from the Academic Discipline Chair's office.
When a class does have sufficient enrollment, the employment terms between the College and the adjunct faculty member are for a specific class or classes within a single semester only and do not imply automatic renewal for future semesters.
Eighty Percent Rule
- Part-time faculty shall not be assigned more than 80% of a full teaching load
- Exceptions requested by the Discipline Dean or the Collegewide Academic Discipline Chair may be authorized by the Office of Human Resources for emergencies on a term-by-term or case-by-case basis
- Non-exempt employees may not be employed in different categories simultaneously (example: part-time faculty may not also work as an hourly employee)