- Student Life
- Study Abroad
- History of the Holocaust Study Abroad Trip
Learn About the Holocaust in Europe
Important Note: Future dates for this trip will be announced, with specific details and a trip contact provided here at that time. General information based on past Holocaust in Europe study abroad trips is below.
This course will immerse students in an eleven-day trip to Germany, Poland, and the Czech Republic to teach students about the historical realities of the Holocaust.
Through site visits to Berlin, Warsaw, Krakow, and Prague—all cities significant to the Jewish experience during the Holocaust—students will learn not only how the Holocaust happened, but also explore the bigger ethical and moral dilemmas involved, all related to this central question: How could the world allow an event like this to happen?
While intended for all students, the course is focused largely on the history and culture of western and eastern Europe as it relates to the Holocaust. This trip will also involve a great deal of walking through cities as well as site locations, such as the grounds and buildings of the former Auschwitz labor and death camp. Finally, it will expose students to a very emotional journey where they will encounter testaments from survivors, resisters, collaborators, and perpetrators; locations where heroic acts of resistance and revolt took place, as well as horrendous atrocities; and historical and architectural monuments to both the best—and the worst—of humanity.
Participants must register for the Study Abroad in the Humanities course associated with the trip (exact course TBD).
Expenses and Accommodations
- Roundtrip flights from Orlando, Florida to Europe
- All accommodations while in Europe
- All required transportation while in Europe
- Some regional-style meals
- Admission to various activity sites
- Guided sightseeing
- Eastern Florida State College tuition
- Passport fees (a U.S. passport valid at least six months past the entry date is required)
- Immunization fees (if needed)
- Supplementary travel insurance (optional, available upon request)
- Spending money