- College Communications
- News Releases
- EFSC Closely Monitoring Coronavirus Outbreak
NEWS MEDIA CONTACT:
Contact: John J. Glisch, Associate Vice President, Communications
EFSC Closely Monitoring Coronavirus Outbreak
February 27, 2020 - Eastern Florida State College is working in conjunction with Brevard County health officials to closely monitor the outbreak of the coronavirus COVID-19.
County and state of Florida health officials are in contact with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) about the outbreak to ensure the most up-to-date CDC guidance is quickly and accurately sent to local agencies and institutions, including EFSC.
So far, no coronavirus cases have been reported in Florida. However, Gov. Ron DeSantis said Thursday the state is doing everything possible to be prepared and respond if the outbreak reaches Florida.
In an email sent to students, faculty and staff Thursday, college officials indicated they will continue to provide updated information as needed.
Additional information about the virus can be found at the CDC website cdc.gov
Meanwhile, CDC officials say the best practices for preventing or containing the spread of the common flu are also effective in preventing and containing the spread of COVID-19.
Those steps include:
- Frequent hand-washing with soap and water for at least 20 seconds or using an alcohol-based hand sanitizer that contains 60–95% alcohol.
- It is especially important to clean hands after going to the bathroom; before eating; and after coughing, sneezing or blowing your nose.
- Avoiding close contact with those who are sick.
- Covering your mouth and nose with a tissue when coughing or sneezing.
- Staying at home when you are sick.