Processes related to EFSC courses

Carefully review the information in the accordion below for details on how to audit a course; the critical difference between dropping a course and withdrawing from a course (the timing for using the drop process versus the withdrawal process depends on the academic calendar); requesting a waiver or course subsitution; and the process for appeals related to guidelines on the maximum number of course attempts.

 Click for information about...

Auditing a Course

A student may register in a course on an audit basis by completing and submitting an Audit Form to the Admissions and Records Office by the published deadline. You can download the Audit Form. Forms are also available in the campus Admissions and Records Office. Students may bring or fax the completed form to any campus Admissions and Records office during the designated period.

A student may change from credit to audit or audit to credit status during the Add/Drop period only. Class tests or examinations are not required of the student auditing the course; however, class attendance is expected. Additionally, the student must meet the same prerequisite requirements as degree-seeking students for specific courses (e.g., student must be a high school graduate to take college credit courses; student cannot take a Gordon Rule course without appropriate prerequisites.) Students will receive a grade of “AU” for courses they audit. Audit courses will not affect the grade point average, academic standing, or award credits.

Developmental education and vocational courses cannot be audited.

Courses taken on an audit basis may not be counted when calculating eligibility for Veterans’ benefits, financial assistance or certification of enrollment by outside agencies. Audited courses do not count in the total attempts for grade forgiveness or withdrawal purposes. A change from audit to credit is not permitted after the Add/Drop period.

NOTE: Audit fees are the same as fees for credit.

Dropping a Course

During the published drop period only:

  1. Click on myEFSC, then click Login for Personalized Information and Services and enter your Student ID # and Password.
  2. Click on Titan Web Services, then Student Services & Financial Aid, and then Registration.
  3. Click on Select Term
  4. Select Add/Drop Classes.
  5. Select the class you want to drop and select "Web Drop" from the dropdown box.
  6. Click on the submit button.
  7. You can also use the online system to add needed classes.

All refunds for dropped classes will be processed at the discretion of the Bursar's Office.

Important Note: Click here to review information on the difference between dropping and withdrawing from a course.

Withdrawing from a Course

Important Note: If you are thinking of withdrawing from a class, please contact your advisor first. We have a lot of resources available to help you and we want to make sure you are aware of all of your options and any future implications, plus any potential impact on financial aid. View details on how to contact advising. We know these are challenging times and your advisor is here for you.

Withdrawing per State Board Rule 6A-14.0301

  • Students who withdraw from a course will receive a grade of “W” on their transcript. A Course Withdrawal Form must be submitted to the Admissions and Records office by the published withdrawal deadline. The dates are published in the Academic Calendar each term. There is no refund for withdrawals.
  • Students may not withdraw from a course taken for the third time; they must receive a grade for the third attempt. Students considering withdrawing from any course are strongly encouraged to speak with a student advisor and Financial Aid to discuss any impact that a withdrawal may have financially or academically.
  • The “third attempt” rule went into effect in the fall of 1997.
  • Exceptions to these guidelines and exemptions from full-cost tuition must be petitioned through the Academic Chair for the course discipline in question using the College's Academic Appeals process.
  • It is the student’s responsibility to complete and submit a Course Withdrawal Form to initiate the withdrawal process. Students who withdraw from a course are still responsible for tuition and fees for the course. Click here to review the Course Withdrawal Process and access forms, plus online withdrawal information.

NOTE: STUDENTS MAY NOT WITHDRAW BY PHONE. We will accept mailed or faxed forms, if ALL information is complete, student signature is included and a legible photo ID is included.

Course Waivers and Substitutions

Students may request a course substitution or waiver to satisfy degree requirements for graduation. Substituted or waived courses will not appear on the student's transcript; they are for degree completion purposes only.

Course Substitution

A course substitution is used when it is determined that a particular required course could be replaced by another appropriate course. Course(s) to be used as substitutions must have a minimum grade of "C".

Course Waiver

A course waiver is used when it is determined that a student does not have to take a particular required course. The waiver carries no credit; it simply means that the student does not have to complete the course. The student does have to complete the credit required for his or her program of study.

  • Student must complete the Petition for Course Substitution or Waiver form and submit it to the Office of the Registrar (OR) for committee review. The OR will make a decision and update the student's record within 5 business days
  • If the OR committee is unable to make a determination, the petition will be forwarded to the appropriate cluster or program chair/manager. The cluster or program chair/manager will respond to the OR within 5 business days
  • If the cluster or program chair/manager is unable to make a determination, the petition will be forwarded to the Campus Provost. The Provost will respond to the OR within 5 business days
  • Upon a final decision, the student will be notified via EFSC email
Courses are waived or substituted for specific degrees only
  • A separate request must be submitted if the course waiver or substitution is to be applied to more than one degree
  • A course that is waived or substituted does not appear on the student's transcript, but will satisfy degree requirements in the degree audit

Accessibility Note: For information about the Course Substitution Process for eligible students with disabilities, contact the Student Access for Improved Learning (SAIL) team.

Appeals: Maximum Attempts per Course

Students may withdraw without academic penalty from any course by the established deadline as follows:

  1. A student may have only three attempts per course including the original grade, repeat grades and all withdrawals. The most recent grade is included in the computation of the cumulative grade point average. Students will be required to pay 100% of the direct instructional cost beginning with the third attempt. Students who want to pursue an appeal should consult an advisor.

  2. Courses taken at institutions other than EFSC will not be counted in determining repeat charges.

  3. Some types of financial aid do not cover repeat course attempts. Students should check with the Financial Aid Office to determine status.

  4. A course can be counted only once toward meeting graduation requirements, except where permitted by a course description.

  5. Attempts “counted” begin with courses taken fall of 1997.

  6. A fourth attempt may be allowed only with approval of the collegewide Academic Chair for the academic discipline related to the course or designee, based upon an academic appeals process which requires documenting serious extenuating circumstances, are considered to be exceptional, documented and beyond the control of the student. Criteria used to determine extenuating circumstances include, but may not be limited to:

    • serious illness
    • medical conditions preventing completion
    • death of an immediate family member
    • call to active duty
    • learning disability
    • English as a second language
    • change in employment conditions
    • natural disasters

Financial hardship exemptions may be granted more than once for each course; however, an exemption based on a financial hardship will only be granted after the student has demonstrated reasonable effort to succeed in the course. Examples of criteria used for determining financial hardship:

  • qualification for federal need-based financial aid

  • documented financial hardship

Application for Exemption to the Full Cost Requirement for 3rd Attempts forms are available at each campus Associate Provost's office.

Note for A.A. degree students: Some senior institutions count all hours attempted and all quality points earned.

Note for VA students: VA benefits may be received for repeat courses assigned a “D” grade, if a grade of “C” or higher is required by SBE Rule 6A-10.30 (Gordon Rule).

Cocoa Campus
Bldg. 2, Rm. 202
1519 Clearlake Road
Cocoa, FL 32922

Hours: Mon. - Thurs., 8 AM - 5 PM
Closed Fridays

Phone: 321-433-7284
Fax: 321-433-7172

Email the Registrar's Office: