TABE Exemptions & Accommodations
• Students entering a criminal justice academy program are exempt from taking the TABE. Instead these students are required to take the Criminal Justice Basic Assessment Test (CJ-BAT). For more information, contact 321-433-5638.
• Many limited access health programs require the Test of Essential Academic Skills (TEAS) instead of the TABE.
Students who are exempt from TABE:
• Students enrolled in a program that is less than 450 clock hours.
• Students who have received an Associate in Applied Science degree or higher from a nationally accredited college or foreign university.
• Students who are exempt from the college entry-level examination per SBE Rule 6A-10.0315.
• Students who have successfully completed developmental education in the subject area.
• Students who have earned a college English or math credit at a C or higher.
• Students who entered 9th grade in a Florida public school in the 2003-2004 school year or later AND graduated from a Florida public high school with a standard high school diploma, or
• Students who serve as an active duty member of any branch of the United States Armed Services
• Students who have passed all subtests of an accepted Common Placement Test within two years of entry into the program with continuous enrollment thereafter. Continuous enrollment is defined as enrollment in at least one credit course in both the fall and spring terms each academic year.
• Students who have earned a Florida Department of Education-approved license, must take the TABE but may be exempt from meeting the graduation TABE requirements.
Processing a TABE Exemption:
• The student, Advisor, Testing or Admissions staff may request the waiver. Testing
Specialists or the Admissions staff can process the Request for TABE Waiver. The location
of the document which supports the TABE waiver should be indicated on the form. The
waiver will be entered in the SOATEST screen and routed to the Admissions and Records
Office for scanning into the student record.
• A copy of currently awarded license attainment (for graduation purposes only) must be attached when applicable.
Students eligible for TABE accommodations:
• Students who provide proper documentation of their disabilities may take their placement tests and exit tests (TABE) through the Student Accessibility Services office if special testing conditions are an approved accommodation. TABE waivers may be granted to eligible students who have taken the TABE twice, have the appropriate disability, and receive the recommendation of their program department head. Students should complete the TABE Disability Waiver form available through a campus SAIL office.