Credit by Institutional Exam
Credit by Exam Information: CLEP and DSST
EFSC has resumed on-campus testing with small groups to maintain social distancing and administer tests as safely as possible. On-campus Credit by Exam testing with CLEP and DSST test appointments are currently available at the Melbourne Campus Assessment Center (MCAC) by appointment only Monday or Thursday at 10 AM, 11 AM or 1 PM.
Seating is limited and students are advised to consult with an Academic Advisor to ensure credit by exam is appropriate. The College Level Examination Program (CLEP) and the Dantes Subject Standardized Tests (DSST) are nationally recognized Credit by Exam programs. College credits are awarded by passing scores on CLEP and DSST tests.
Under EFSC safety protocols, masks or other facial coverings are required inside Campus buildings and throughout all test administrations. No locker space will be provided, so testers should not bring personal items such as wallets, hats and cell phones to the testing centers. Only a photo ID and car keys should be brought to the Assessment Center as all necessary testing supplies are provided.
MCAC (Melbourne Building 10, Room 218, 321-433-5879)
You can call for information but registration cannot be completed over the phone. You should review the
Candidate Information about both tests on their websites: CLEP Test Information or DSST Information. You should also review the bullet points below the EFSC mailing address before registering.
When you are ready to register for testing at EFSC, download and complete the appropriate
CLEP at EFSC Registration Form
Once the form is completed, email or mail it to the Testing and Assessment Services department. Your registration will be confirmed by email. If using postal mail, please ensure sufficient time for receipt and consider that EFSC operates on a four-day work week, Monday through Thursday.
Eastern Florida State College
Attention CLEP/DSST, MCAC 10-218
3865 N Wickham Road
Melbourne, FL 32935
- There is a $25 non-refundable EFSC service fee for each CLEP or DSST test, payable prior to test administration. The service fee for EFSC students will be posted to the student account and may be paid with credit card online, or with check, cash, or money order at the campus cashier's office. Non-EFSC students must pay in person at a campus cashier's office (Melbourne Campus, Building 1, Room 108) with check, cash, or money order. The Credit Card payment option is NOT available to non-EFSC students. Those who pay in person, must bring the receipt from the cashier to their test appointment.
- EFSC is an Open Test site, so any student may register to take the CLEP and DSST tests at the College.
- Pre-registration is required, and appointments are made on a first-come, first-served basis. Seating is limited.
- The CLEP test fee of $89 is paid at the My Account portal on the College Board website
with a credit card. A Test Ticket (valid for 6 months) will be issued to the student.
Candidates must create a personal CLEP account.
Through the My Account registration portal students may purchase a CLEP exam 24/7, manage their personal account at any time prior to taking the exam, search for test centers, select their score recipient institution(s), and purchase study materials. The Test Ticket ID number MUST be indicated on the EFSC CLEP Registration form.
- Unofficial CLEP scores are provided at the conclusion of testing with the exception of College Composition. Official test scores may take 2-3 weeks for credits to be posted to the EFSC transcript. College Composition scores may take up to 4 weeks for posting.
- The DSST test fee of $85 is paid at the testing workstation at the EFSC Assessment Center test session via credit card only.
- Confirmation emails will be sent to candidates who submit their completed registration forms with further admission instructions.
- Students must produce appropriate identification for admission to testing. The ID must be a valid (not expired) government-issued ID with photo and signature (State Driver's License, Military ID or Passport). Name on ID must match that of the registered test candidate.
- External calculators are not permitted duirng CLEP exams. Calculators are provided within the computer exam.
- Graphing calculators are used in the CLEP Calculus and Precalculus examinations. Scientific (nongraphing) calculators are used in the CLEP Chemistry, College Algebra, and College Mathematics examinations. You are expected to know how and when to make appropriate use of the calculator. Get more information about the graphing calculator and download a trial version.
- DSST test and study information can be located at the DSST website. DSST calculators are permitted in the following exams: Business Math, Fundamentals of College Algebra, Computing and Information Technology, Personal Fiance, Principles of Fiance, and Principles of Statistics.
Military Sponsored Exams
Active military test takers are issued Uniformed Services Geneva Convention Common Access Cards (CAC).
Spouses and Civil Service Civilian employees of eligible branches of the U.S. Military are issued Uniformed Services Identification and Privilege Card or DoD Guard and Reserve Family Member Identification and Privilege Cards. While the ID policy states that the identification presented by test-takers must have a signature and picture, these military IDs may contain electronic signatures.
DSST eligible test takers who present the above identification cards, or any card that meets Military ID requirements as listed on the DSST Eligibility Chart are not required to submit a secondary form of identification per the updated CLEP identification policy.