Veterinary Assisting CCC
Veterinary Assisting is a one-year certificate program available as either a full-time, stand-alone College Credit Certificate or as part of the Veterinary Nursing A.S. program. Students will complete a task-oriented curriculum focused on skills required for assisting veterinary technicians/nurses and veterinarians in clinical practice, and it includes hands-on and clinical experiences under the guidance of veterinary and veterinary technician/nursing faculty.
Completion of the certificate program will also serve as an acceleration mechanism for the Veterinary Nursing A.S. program at EFSC. Fourteen credits will transfer to the Veterinary Nursing A.S. program after the completion of the Veterinary Assisting program. Admission to both programs is limited and requires a special application process.
Upcoming Application Deadlines
The first Veterinary Assisting application deadline is September 15, 2020 for a January
2021 program start. The application for the program has not yet opened and more information
and a link will be posted once available.
Veterinary Assisting CCC Admission Requirements
- Applicant must be 18 years of age by the application deadline
- Applicant must be a high school graduate or hold a GED
- Applicant must have a high school GPA of 2.5 or a college GPA of 2.0
- Applicant must have been accepted to EFSC following the college's general admissions guidelines before applying for the Veterinary Assisting program
- Applicant must write a 150 to 200-word, handwritten essay on the following topic, using at least one citation in APA style: "Describe how duties and education differ between a veterinary assistant and a veterinary nurse/technician."
Applicants for the program will be selected based on the requirements listed above. In the event of a tie, selection will be made based on the applicant's GPA and an objective review/evaluation of the applicant's essay.