Medical Assistant: How to Apply
Thank you for your interest in the Medical Assistant Program, which offers two program options described below.
Medical Assistant Specialist, College Credit Certificate (CCC)
- This program begins every Fall and Spring, at both the Cocoa and Palm Bay Campuses.
- Seats are limited and registration is first-come, first-served.
- Students must complete prerequisite support classes before beginning the program core classes. These classes can be taken at any campus.
- Interested students must visit the Nursing & Health Science Admissions and Advising Office in Cocoa (Building 11, Room 206) or in Melbourne (Building 15, Room 101). Students may walk in or make an appointment with a Health Science Advisor.
- Entry into the program core courses begins at the start of walk-in registration for your intended program start term. Please review the EFSC Academic Calendar for walk-in registration dates.
Medical Assistant Advanced, Associate in Science degree (A.S.)
- The general education courses for this program can be started any term.
- The program is open-entry, open-exit.
- To advance to this A.S. degree the learner must:
- Have achieved/completed all phases of the CCC program, no later than 3 years prior to the A.S. degree start. A copy of your transcript is required.
- Applied and passed the national RMA certification credential by program start. A copy of your certification is required.
Please read the following information to make your entrance into the program as easy as 1-2-3!
NOTE: You will not receive an acceptance letter after submitting an application. You need to see a health science advisor to get your major changed and to get registered for classes.
Applying for Medical Assisting
Advising and General Admission Application
See a Health Science Advisor to go over admission criteria and set up a course plan for completing prerequisite support classes. You should also review the entrance criteria page for additional information. You must complete the EFSC general admissions application or already be an active EFSC student before submitting the Health Sciences Application described later in this accordion.
New Students: Complete and properly file the application for general admission to Eastern Florida State College, prior to the program application deadline. The EFSC General Application is available online. There is a $30 non-refundable application fee for admission that must be submitted at the time of application to the college. Complete all general admissions requirements with the Admissions office.
Returning Students: If it has been over one year since you have taken a course at EFSC, you must readmit. The EFSC Readmit Application is available online. There is no fee to readmit.
Eastern Florida State College
1519 Clearlake Road
Cocoa, Florida 32922
- Transfer students: Request all previous schools to send an official copy of all transcripts to the EFSC
- International students: If you attended high school and/or college in a country other than the United States,
when you submit your transcripts you must speak to the International Student Service
Advisor to determine any further steps that must be taken to determine your grade
point average and transfer credits.
- If no previous college coursework/or no degree earned: Submit official College Placement Test Scores or take a College Placement Test with the EFSC testing center at your local campus. If exempt, please provide documentation.
Online Program Application
Complete the online Health Sciences Program Application for your intended Medical Assistant Program. There is a $25 non-refundable fee for this application to be paid at the cashier's office prior to registration for core classes.
CCC: You must start with the Medical Assistant Specialtist CCC. This application should be submitted no later than walk-in registration for your intended program start. Verification of the submitted application and application fee is required to enter the program.
AS: If you have already completed the Medical Assistant Specialist CCC, then submit an application for the Medical Assistant Advanced (AS). Verification of the submitted application and application fee is required to enter the program/declare major. There is a $25 non-refundable fee for this application to be paid at the cashier's office prior to program start. You will NOT be contacted after receipt of your application. In order to start the program/update major, you must see a Nursing & Health Science Advisor (any semester) and provide proof of the following:
- Copy of transcript to reflect completion of the CCC program.
- Copy of National RMA certification credential.
*Did you complete the CCC Medical Assistant program in the last 3 years and now want to enter the A.S. degree? See our FAQ page for details.
Completion of Prerequisite Courses
CCC: Applicants must have all, or majority, of their prerequisite support classes completed before registering into the CCC program. Completion of these courses will be verified at the start of walk-in registration by the Nursing & Health Science Advisors. See Entrance Criteria for list of courses.
A.S.: Applicants must have graduated from the Medical Assistant Specialty CCC program within 3 years of program start.
Equal Access Policy
Eastern Florida State College is dedicated to providing a nondiscriminatory environment which promotes equal access, equal educational opportunity, and equal employment opportunity to all persons regardless of age, race, national origin, color, ethnicity, genetic information, religion, sex, gender, sexual orientation, pregnancy, disability, marital status, veteran status, ancestry, or political affiliation in its programs, activities, or employment.
EFSC recognizes the rights of students and applicants with disabilities, including those with hepatitis B, under the protections of the Americans with Disabilities Act and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act.