Explore the Real-Life Middle Earth
This study abroad course will immerse students in the biological and cultural diversity of New Zealand through a multi-week trip that includes visits to endangered species colony and reintroduction sites, several major cities in New Zealand, culturally relevant strongholds of the first settlers of New Zealand and several important Maori historical locations.
While intended for non-biology majors, the course is focused largely on the biology of organisms found in New Zealand. This trip will also involve a great deal of hiking and exposure to the elements.
In addition to instructor permission, when course registration opens for Spring 2020, students must sign up to take a course associated with the trip. Spring courses have not yet been identified for this trip. Dr. Petrie will provide information as it is confirmed to all students who contact him with an interest in participating.
How to Apply
Contact Dr. Chris Petrie at email@example.com or 321-433-5080. Students are encouraged to apply ASAP to guarantee a spot. In addition to applying for the trip and registering for one of the required courses, students must also meet EFSC's general study abroad requirements.
Pricing and Accommodations
Space is limited. A $250 non-refundable deposit is required to hold your spot. Payment plans may be available; please contact the instructor for additional details.
$4,800 program fee includes:
- Roundtrip flights from Orlando to New Zealand
- All accommodations while in New Zealand
- Customs and departure fees
- All required transportation while in New Zealand
- Admission to various biological and culturally-relevant activity sites
- Eastern Florida State College tuition
- Passport fees (a U.S. passport valid at least 6 months past the entry date is required)
- Immunization fees (if needed)
- Supplementary travel insurance (optional, available upon request)
- Spending money
Dates & Contact Info
January 3 - 18, 2020
Dr. Chris Petrie
Application and $250 holding deposit due: ASAP before September 11, 2019
$2,450 trip deposit due: September 11, 2019
$1,500 housing deposit due: October 16, 2019
$600 remaining balance due: November 20, 2019
Date of departure: January 3, 2020
Date of return: January 18, 2020