Explore Guatemala and Belize
This special program allows eligible students to earn credit while studying in Guatemala and Belize.
In addition to instructor permission, when course registration opens for Summer 2020, students must sign up to take one of the following courses associated with the trip:
- HSC 3820 Transcultural Biomedical Science: Students will explore the Belizean Barrier Reef system, the MesoAmerican rainforest
and the ruins of Tikal. They will also participate in hands-on clinical experiences
in Guatemala and Belize that are focused on natal care, diabetes management, reproductive
services and HIV/AIDS awareness. Students will also interact with traditional shaman
healers and learn about traditional medicinal plants. Clinical hours completed in
this course fulfill the requirements for internship hours in HSC 3801 and HSC 4851.
- BSCC 1362 Tropical Ecology: Students will explore the Belizean Barrier Reef system, the MesoAmerican rainforest and the ruins of Tikal. They will also participate in the replanting of rainforest tree zones. Students will interact with traditional shaman healers and learn about traditional medicinal plants. They will also explore the care of rescued exotic animals at the Belize Zoo. This course involves several hiking expeditions. Service-Learning hours are available during this trip.
How to Apply
Contact Dr. Chris Petrie at firstname.lastname@example.org or 321-433-5080. March 6, 2020 is the last day to join the trip at the quoted price (airfare increases after that date), but students are encouraged to apply ASAP to guarantee a spot. In addition to applying for the trip and registering for one of the required courses, students must also meet EFSC's general study abroad requirements.
Pricing and Accommodations
Space is limited. A $250 non-refundable deposit is required to hold your spot. Payment plans are available; please contact the instructor for additional details.
$3,450 program fee includes:
- Roundtrip flights from Orlando to Central America
- All accommodations while in Guatemala & Belize
- 2-3 meals per day while in Guatemala & Belize
- All required transportation while in Guatemala & Belize
- Eastern Florida State College tuition
- Passport fees (a U.S. passport valid at least 6 months past the entry date is required)
- Immunization fees
- Supplementary travel insurance (optional, available upon request)
- $30 Belize exit fee
- Spending money
Dates & Contact Info
Last day to join the trip at the quoted price: March 6, 2020
Application and $250 holding deposit due: ASAP and before March 6, 2020
$900 airfare deposit due: March 6, 2020
$1,150 housing deposit due: April 17, 2020
$1,150 food/activities deposit due: May 22, 2020
Date of departure: June 26, 2020
Date of return: July 12, 2020