Melbourne & Palm Bay Campus Road Closure Information - Both campuses will be impacted by upcoming road closures. Palm Bay: March 27-31. View the Palm Bay map & details. Melbourne: March 31-April 15. View the Melbourne detour map & details.

 Click each to see answer.

Question 1:  Who can use this service?

This service is only for students of Eastern Florida State College.

Question 2:    How do I qualify?

You must be enrolled as a part- or full-time student to qualify for the services.

Question 3:    How much does it cost?


The services are free.

Question 4:    Will my instructors be notified if I use the services from this program?


In most instances your instructors will not be notified. This is a confidential service. However, if you utter language or demonstrate behavior in the classroom or on campus that makes you a threat to yourself or others, your instructors may refer you to the services and will be informed when you are cleared to return to the classroom. Instructors are encouraged to recommend the services to students who disclose or demonstrate that they have personal challenges that are impeding their academic progress.

Question 5:    How do I access the services?


There are several methods for accessing the services. You may self-refer, which is the preferred method. Instructors and staff may also refer you if they feel you need counseling support or feel that you or others are in imminent danger based on your behavior or perceived verbal threats.

Question 6:    What if I’m having a bad day? Am I going to be perceived as a threat to myself or others?


Absolutely not. This service is intended for students to have a confidential and professional resource to help them navigate behavioral health needs. This is not a punitive service. It is designed specifically with the purpose of helping students effectively manage their personal challenges.

Question 7:    What are behavioral health needs?


Behavioral health needs include mental health, emotional health, stress and substance abuse issues. If you have life challenges that are impacting your coping skills, affecting your mood or hurting academic progress, call 800-878-5470 for help.

Question 8:    What is the 800 number?


800-878-5470. This number will put you in touch with a BayCare Life Management operator who will assist you in accessing SAP counseling services.

Question 9:    Will EFSC be monitoring my call?


No. EFSC is not tied into this free service or the telephone triage. You will be connected to a licensed therapist who will assess your personal problem and refer you to additional counseling if needed.

Question 10:    When is the licensed therapist available to take calls?


This a 24-hour service. The licensed therapist is on duty Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. After hours, weekend and holiday service is accessible by dialing the same number, which will connect you to an answering service. A licensed therapist will return your call within 10 minutes.

Question 11:    How many counseling sessions am I eligible for?


Students are eligible to receive as many as three free counseling sessions per year. However, in extreme cases, more can be authorized if advised by the counselor.

Question 12:    What is the process if I make the initial call to the licensed therapist? 


First, the licensed therapist will assess your personal problem. Second, if necessary, the licensed therapist will refer you for short-term counseling services. Short-term counseling locations are geographically convenient for student access and can be scheduled as face-to-face sessions.

Question 13:    What if my problem requires long-term services (more than three sessions)?


The college is contracted to provide each student with as many as three counseling sessions per year. If additional sessions are needed as determined by the counselor, the counselor will work with students Band their insurance provider to find low cost services at the students’ expense.

Question 14:    How do I get started?


Call 800-878-5470.


Help is Available

For immediate assistance:
Call the EFSCares Hotline at

For additional information:

Laura Sidoran
Student Assistance Program Liaison

SAP website link