Survivors' & Dependents Program
Educational assistance benefits are available to spouses who have not remarried and children of:
- Veterans who died or are permanently and totally disabled as a result of a disability arising from active military service;
- Veterans who died from any cause while rated permanently and totally disabled from service-connected disability;
- Service members listed for more than 90 days as currently missing in action or capture in line of duty by a hostile force;
- Service members listed for more than 90 days as currently detained or interned by a foreign government or power.
A person may receive educational assistance for full-time training for up to 45 months or the equivalent in part-time training. Payments to a spouse end 10 years from the date the individual is found eligible or from the date of the death of the veteran. Children can use it until their 26th birthday or 8 years from a basic eligibility date, which occurred after the 18th birthday.
The termination of a surviving spouse’s remarriage by death, divorce, or ceasing to live with the other person as that person’s spouse will reinstate Dependents’ Educational Assistance benefits to the surviving spouse.
Forms and Paperwork Required
The following documentation will be needed to start your Chapter 35 – Dependents Education Benefits. VA Forms can be picked up at an EFSC Military and Veterans Service Center or downloaded from the United States Department of Veterans Affairs web site:
- VA Form 22-5490 Application for Survivors and Dependents Education Assistance
- Birth Certificate (for dependent children only)
- VA Form 22-5495 Change of Program or Place of Training (form used if you have previously applied for Chapter 35 Dependent Benefits)
- Prep Memo (see an academic advisor if you have to take developmental education preparatory classes)
- Class schedule
- Prior Credit Statement – this form will be given to you at the Veterans Educational Benefits Office to fill out
Military & Veterans
Locations & Hours
Monday-Thursday, 8 AM - 6 PM
Building 11, Room 113
1519 Clearlake Rd.
Cocoa, FL 32922
Bldg. 1, Rm. 140
3865 North Wickham Road
Melbourne, FL 32935