Montgomery GI Bill/Selected Reserve
The Montgomery GI Bill (Selected Reserve) provides education benefits to members of the reserve elements of the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps and Coast Guard, and to members of the Army National Guard and the Air National Guard.
To be eligible for the program, a reservist must:
- Have a six-year obligation to serve in the Selected Reserve signed after 6/30/85 or if an officer, agree to serve six years in addition to the original obligation;
- Complete Initial Active Duty for Training (IADT);
- Have a high school diploma or equivalency certificate before completing IADT; and
- Remain in good standing in a Selected Reserve Unit.
If a reservist stays in the Selected Reserve, benefits end 10 years from the date the reservist became eligible for the program.
Forms and Paperwork Required
The following documentation will be needed to start your Chapter 1606 – Selected Reserve/Guard Montgomery GI Bill Education Benefits. VA Forms can be picked up at the EFSC Veterans Educational Benefits Office or downloaded from the United States Department of Veterans Affairs web site.
- VA Form 22-1990 Application for Initial Education Benefits
- DD 214 (Copy 4) Report of Military Separation / Discharge
- DD Form 2384 (N.O.B.E.) Notice of Basic Eligibility (get this form from your reserve unit)
- VA Form 22-1995 Change of Program or Place of Training (form used if you have previously applied for Montgomery GI Bill Educational Benefits)
- Prep Memo (see an academic advisor if you have to take developmental education preparatory classes)
- EFSC Class schedule
- Prior Credit Statement – this form will be given to you at the Veterans Educational Benefits Office to fill out
Military & Veterans
Locations & Hours
Monday-Thursday, 8 AM - 6 PM
Building 11, Room 113
1519 Clearlake Rd.
Cocoa, FL 32922
Bldg. 1, Rm. 140
3865 North Wickham Road
Melbourne, FL 32935
Palm Bay Campus
Bldg. 2, Rm. 163A
250 Community College Parkway
Palm Bay, FL 32909