Interlibrary Loan (ILL)
Interlibrary Loan (ILL) provides EFSC students, faculty and staff access to materials that are not available at the EFSC Libraries or from any Florida college libraries. ILLiad is the electronic system used for ILL. Requests for ILL must be submitted from a user's ILLiad account.
Once you set up an ILLiad account, you may log in and use the account to do the following:
- Submit request(s)
- Track request(s)
- Check due dates
- Renew items
- View borrowing history
- Access material delivered electronically
Note: Before requesting any materials through ILLiad, please use LINCCweb to check availability at EFSC Libraries or one of Florida's other college libraries.
Review the Frequently Asked Questions about ILLiad below. If you have additional questions, please contact EFSC Interlibrary Loan Specialist, Gina Rippens at firstname.lastname@example.org or 321-433-7262.
Click category to view Interlibrary Loan FAQs
Who is eligible to use Interlibrary Loan?
Interlibrary Loan is a service offered to current Eastern Florida State College students, faculty, and staff members with a valid EFSC Library card.
If you are not a current EFSC student, faculty or staff member, you are not eligible for Interlibrary Loan services through EFSC. We suggest you contact your own educational institution's library, or the public library in your area.
SUBMITTING AN ILL REQUEST
How do I request an Interlibrary Loan?
Interlibrary Loan is for materials not available at any of the EFSC Campus Libraries, unless you live out of the area and are a Distance Learning student. ILL Requests must be submitted online, and are not taken over the telephone.
To request an Interlibrary Loan, submit your request through the online ILLIAD system. Each item wanted needs to be submitted as a separate request. Complete and accurate requests will prevent undue delays in processing.
What can I order?
You may request books, articles from journals and newspapers, documents, and pamphlets. Materials difficult to obtain are materials printed before 1900, videos, genealogy items, and theses. ILL cannot request rare books, textbooks, individual journal issues, or non-circulating items.
- EFSC Students and Staff - 10 requests per week
- EFSC Faculty - no limit
- Please prioritize your requests, so most urgent items are requested first. Material is loaned to us by other libraries for a short time (usually 2-4 weeks). Limiting the number of items you request at one time will enable you to make the best use of the materials.
How long does it take?
- Allow 7-10 working days to obtain your material
- Photocopies of journal articles that are faxed could take less time.
- Understand that much of what happens in Interlibrary Loan is dependent on other libraries and delivery services outside of our control so we can only estimate time of delivery.
- Having accurate and complete information will assist us in obtaining the material in the shortest possible time. For article information, use one of the Library's subscription databases. For books or newspapers, use one of the Databases or the LINCC Catalog. WorldCat is an excellent source for verification of all materials.
- If your materials are available from the UCF main campus library, some items can be received in 2-4 days by courier, or you can go to UCF/Orlando campus Library and check them out there using your EFSC Library card, and not submit your request through interlibrary loan.
- For Rush Service, some articles can be obtained through a fee-based document delivery company; or faxed, depending upon the copyright restrictions. There may be a fee.
NOTIFICATION - LOAN PERIOD
How will I notified when my Interlibrary Loan materials have arrived?
- When email is not available, patrons will be notified by telephone or mail.
What is the loan period for my Interlibrary Loan materials?
- The loan period for borrowed materials is determined by the lending library. Most libraries allow three week loans and renewal, upon request, of two additional weeks. You must request the renewal one week before the original due date, which is clearly marked on the label to each item borrowed. The due date and any restrictions placed on the use of the material is indicated on the interlibrary loan label that is attached to the material (e.g., book, microfiche) that you receive. The interlibrary loan label must remain attached to the interlibrary loan material. All loans are subject to the policies of the lending library and can be restricted, or recalled at any time. You could be assessed overdue fines by the lending library for items turned in late and by the EFSC Library. If a book or other loan materials become damaged or lost, it is your responsibility to pay replacement costs.
PICKUP - DELIVERY - RETURN
Where do I pick up and return Interlibrary Loan materials?
- Materials must be picked up at the Circulation Department from your requesting EFSC campus library (Cocoa, Palm Bay, Melbourne or Titusville) during library hours. All ILL borrowed materials must be returned to that same Circulation Department at your requesting EFSC campus.
How are non-returnable Interlibrary Loan materials delivered?
- We can mail by postal service or email photocopies to you with an email address.
COSTS - FINES- BILLS
How much does Interlibrary Loan cost?
- Through participation in regional, statewide and national resource sharing partnerships, and special funding for document delivery, Interlibrary Loan can supply most ILL materials to its patrons without charge. All avenues for "free" loans and copies are pursued first. However, some materials are not available without charge and can only be obtained if a fee is paid to the supplier. In these cases the charges are billed to the borrower. Always indicate on the request form whether you are willing to pay a fee for the item, and if so, the amount you are willing to pay. ILL will not exceed the amount you authorize without consulting you first. If there is a charge, notification is made before ordering.
What is the fine for overdue interlibrary loan materials?
- The overdue fine for ILL materials is .25 cents per day per item. There is no grace period and the maximum fine is $5.00. Fines can also be accessed by the lending library to the patron.
What are the charges for lost interlibrary loan materials?
- Charges for lost or damaged materials are billed to the borrower. Those costs are determined by the lending library. The continuous inability or unwillingness to adhere to ILL policies and procedures as determined by the ILL Librarian, will result in the lost of ILL privileges.
What is the Interlibrary Loan Renewal policy?
- You may request a renewal on any Interlibrary Loan material, as long as "No Renewals" was not one of the restrictions that the lending library placed on the item. Renewals should be requested at least ONE WEEK before the due date. We will submit the request for a renewal, and will notify you of the response by the lender. As long as the material is not "library use only" you will be able to keep the item until you are notified of the response. If the item is "library use only" it will be kept at the Circulation desk for you to use until we receive a response from the lender.
Whom do I contact to renew my Interlibrary Loan materials?
- Contact the Interlibrary Loan Office by sending an email to RippensG@easternflorida.edu or call 321-433-7262. Be sure to tell us what you want to renew, requested renewal period, and provide your name and B number. We will respond as soon as possible.
1519 Clearlake Road
Cocoa, FL 32922
OCLC Symbol: EBC
Library, Bldg. 12, Room 118, Cocoa Campus
Office Hours: Monday-Thursday, 8am-5pm
Telephone: (321) 433-7262
FAX: (321) 433-7188
Click on the Ask A Librarian link to email or chat with a librarian. You can also call during Library hours and speak to a Reference librarian at: (321) 433-7662 Toll free college number: 1-888-747-2802