Embedding articles and videos in Canvas
Steps for sharing an article within Canvas
- Find an article in a Library database (Login Help)
- For example, locate an article in Academic Search Complete
- View the full-text of the article
- On the right side navigation menu click Permalink and COPY the link
- Note: This may also be referred to as a Persistent URL/link
- PASTE the link you copied into your Canvas course
- Contact your Librarian Liaison for assistance
- Alternatively, you can also save the PDF of the article (but some articles are only available as an HTML webpage) and then upload the PDF onto Canvas.
Making Videos Available within Canvas
EFSC Library's Films on Demand streaming video collection includes more than 15,000 titles. Inside the system, they're referred to as FMG on Demand. Faculty can share these videos in Canvas two ways: by embedding them, which is preferred and easiest, or by creating a video playlist. Information on both methods is below.
Method 1: Embed streaming videos into Canvas
EFSC Library's Films on Demand streaming video collection includes more than 23,000 titles. Faculty can easily embed streaming videos by following the steps in this document.
Method 2: Create playlists to share videos in Canvas
Faculty can create Films on Demand playlists to use in Canvas as an alternate way to share videos.
Faculty please note: You cannot just copy the URL from a Films on Demand streaming video and paste it in course software for students to access. Links created this way will fail. You MUST login with a user account within Films on Demand to create playlists with unique URLs.
To create a playlist:
- Go to: Films on Demand
- Log in with your B number and PIN (your birthdate in MMDDYY format)
Create an account within Films on Demand by clicking on Create Account at the top of the screen.
After you have created your account within Films on Demand, you can search for videos and then add them to playlists. When you find a video that you want to use, click on the plus symbol (+) under the video.
You can add a title to an existing playlist or create a new playlist. Playlists can be named with a topic, the title of the video, your course number, etc.
In the example below the playlist is named Emotional Intelligence.
After you have named your playlist, click on the Go button and you should see the
confirmation that "Item has been added successfully" at the bottom of the screen.
To access the playlist URLs, click on the Playlist link at the top of the page and find your named playlist.
Streaming video will play without a login: http://digital.films.com/play/7V7U22
- Make sure you copy a playlist URL exactly and do not leave a space at the end. An extra space at the end of the URL is sometimes created when links are pasted in and this causes the link to fail.
- Since Films on Demand is licensed content, playlist URLs should only be pasted on webpages that are password protected.
- It is a highly recommended for faculty to provide students with the alternate instructions below for finding Films on Demand titles through the library databases or myEFSC in case the playlist links fail.
Alternate instructions for students: Access to FMG titles
- Log in to My EFSC with your B number and PIN (your birthdate in MMDDYY format)
- Click on Library Electronic Resources (middle left on the screen in desktop view)
- Click on Alphabetical tab at the top of the page
- Click on FMG on Demand (Infobase Publishing)
To locate a film by title:
- Type in the film name EXACTLY as listed and change the field searched to By Titles (instead of By Segments)
- On the results list, click on the thumbnail image or the title of the film to play the video.