FOR MORE INFORMATION
Andrea Rasmussen, Volleyball Head Coach
Challenging 2012 Season Awaits Volleyball Team
NOTE: Because the season's schedule is subject to change with short notice, click here to view the most recent version of the 2012-2013 Volleyball season schedule.
June 6, 2012 - The Brevard Community College volleyball team has announced its 2012 schedule and head coach Herb Tokumoto considers it challenging.
“Region 8 (the state of Florida) and our conference (Southern) in my opinion has one of the most competitive group of teams in the nation,” Tokumoto said. “Their records speak for themselves; many have made it to the NJCAA national tournament and have won national titles and repeat titles. Our schedule is first setup for our conference matches, and then we focus on availability of additional match dates with teams in our region.
“Because we are in such a competitive conference, the only way for us to improve our competition level is to constantly push the team and program. As the program continues to improve, the caliber of athlete interested in attending Brevard improves and thus our competition level jumps.”
The schedule consists of 23 play dates; six of them at home in the Melbourne campus gym.
The Titans open the season at the Florida State College Jacksonville tournament on Aug. 24-25 and debut at home on Aug. 28 against Polk State College.
This season's slate includes a Sept. 14 home quad match on the Titusville campus with visitors South Florida Community College, St. Johns River State College and State College of Florida; the South Florida Community College tournament on Sept. 28 and 29; an Oct. 5 tri match at South Florida Community College/State College of Florida; an Oct. 19-20 date at the Lake Sumter Tournament; and a regular-season-closing tri-match at Lake Sumter Community College/State College of Florida on Oct. 26.
BCC’s final home match is Oct. 23 against Florida Christian.
Once again the Titans will compete in the Florida College System Activities Association’s Southern Conference with Miami-Dade, Indian River State College, Palm Beach State and Broward State, meeting each twice.
Brevard finished 19-20 in 2011, its best effort since 2005. It was 3-5 in conference play.
Tokumoto is assisted by Pete Klonowski and Kim Tokumoto.
The Titans’ 2012 roster includes:
• Taylor Gembecki, 5’6, setter/libero, freshman, Fort Myers, Riverdale High
• Kayla Sullivan, 5’7, setter/defensive specialist, sophomore, Eustis, Eustis High
• Beth Williams, 5’8, setter/defensive specialist, sophomore, Lake City, Columbia High
• Ashley Gonzalez, 5’8, outside hitter/defensive specialist, freshman, Warner Robins, Ga.
• Alicia Vaccarelli, 5’9, middle hitter, sophomore, Melbourne High
• Alana Nielander, 5’9, outside hitter, freshman, Lake Placid, Lake Placid High
• Layla Wilson, 5’10, opposite hitter, freshman, Eau Gallie High
• Micaela Vowinkel, 5’10, outside hitter, freshman, Carson City, Nev., Carson High
• Sami Spring, 6’0, setter/opposite hitter, freshman, Eustis, Eustis High
• Jessica Caplinger, 6’0, opposite hitter/middle hitter, sophomore, Winchester, Ohio, White Oak High
• Jamie Darragh, 6’0, middle hitter, sophomore, Dayton, Nev., Dayton High
• Ashley Dills, 6’3, middle hitter, freshman, Winter Haven, Winter Haven High
• Nia Frederick, 6’3, opposite hitter, freshman, Kissimmee, Harmony High
See the complete schedule at: www.brevardcc.edu/student-life/athletics/volleyball/schedule-results/index.cfm