NEWS MEDIA CONTACT:
Contact: Mark DeCotis, Athletic Communications
Big Night for Eastern Florida Softball as Titans Sweep Broward, Forge First-Place Tie
April 10, 2014 - Eastern Florida's softball team accomplished five things on Thursday.
- It swept a Florida College System Activities Association Southern Conference doubleheader at Broward College, beating the Seahawks 14-1 and 20-3.
- It moved into a first place tie in the conference with Indian River State College, both having 8-4 records.
- It put ground between itself and third-place Miami Dade (6-4) and fourth-place Palm Beach State (6-6).
- It moved to the winning side of the ledger overall improving to 22-21.
- And it positioned itself for its final two conference doubleheaders – hosting Indian River on Wednesday and Miami Dade on April 19 – that will determine its postseason fate.
The top three teams in the FCSAA's four conferences advance to the state tournament.
Sophomore Brooke Formby was the winning pitcher in the first game and freshman Dajia Jones the winner in the second on Thursday.
Both pitchers received ample offensive support with outstanding efforts from sophomore Manya Lopez who was 6-for-8 with a double, four runs batted in and five runs scored and classmate Devin Williams who was 5-for-7 with six runs scored.