Surgical Technology Selection Criteria
The Selection Committee for this program is guided by the following criteria:
Choose a topic to reveal details.
Click to see Selection Criteria details
Grade Point Average
All applicants are required to have at least a 2.5 GPA by the application deadline.
Work Experience / Health Science Education
Points will be given for relevant work or education experience in only ONE of the following areas. Documentation must be provided with either the transcript showing the degree earned or the Verification of Health-Related experience form.
- One year of full-time or equivalent work, related to a Health Science program will be awarded 2 points.
- Graduate of a Health Sciences Program - One semester or less in length with 6 months work experience will be awarded 4 points.
- Graduate of a Health Sciences Program - two semesters or more in length with 6 months work experience will result in 6 points.
- Graduate with an A.A. degree will result in 8 points.
- Graduate with an A.S. degree in a Health Science Program with 6 months work experience will result in 10 points.
- Graduate with a Bachelor's or Master's Degree will result in 10 points.
Open House / Interview
All applicants with complete application folders will be invited to attend an Open House after the application deadline. Students who attend the Open House will receive 5 points.
Qualified applicants will then be chosen for an interview by invitation only. Selection will be determined by the Program Manager, based on submission of a complete application folder and required coursework.
Specific College Course Work
Only college-credit courses completed with a grade of "C" or better can be used.
Completion of all the required A.S. degree general education courses (below) will result in 10 bonus points. Applicants will not earn any points for this section, if all five classes are not completed by the application deadline.
- Composition 1
- Intermediate Algebra
- General Psychology
- Humanities Requirement
Additionally, the following courses will be awarded points based on the grades earned: A=5 points, B=3 Points, and C=1. Only courses completed in the last 5 years with a "C" or better can be used for points.
- General Biology (includes lab)*
- Medical Terminology (Advanced Medical Terminology preferred)*
- Anatomy & Physiology I (includes lab) *
- Anatomy & Physiology II (includes lab) *
- Microbiology (includes lab) *
(* courses must be within 5 years to earn points)
Applicants should submit a one-page, typed essay with the topic "Explain what is the role of a Surgical Technologist in the Operating Room."
As a part of the application criteria, the Surgical Technology program encourages students to participate in observing our current Surgical Tech students. Students will receive 10 points for completing one four-hour observation day within our program's skills laboratory.
Observation days are on November 14, 2017, January 23, 2018, and February 20, 2018
from 12:30 PM until 4:30 PM. All observations will be held on the Melbourne Campus,
Building 15, Room 127.
All observational/shadowing assignments must be arranged through Eastern Florida State College’s Surgical Services program. Please contact Constance Sanchez at firstname.lastname@example.org to reserve your observation time.
Equal Access Policy
Eastern Florida State College is dedicated to providing a nondiscriminatory environment which promotes equal access, equal educational opportunity, and equal employment opportunity to all persons regardless of age, race, national origin, color, ethnicity, genetic information, religion, sex, gender preference, pregnancy, disability, marital status, veteran status, ancestry, or political affiliation in its programs, activities, or employment.
EFSC recognizes the rights of students and applicants with disabilities, including those with hepatitis B, under the protections of the Americans with Disabilities Act and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act.