How to Apply to the EFSC Sonography Program
The Diagnostic Medical Sonography program begins each fall and leads to an Associate in Science degree. Applicants are evaluated for admission based upon the Admission & Selection Criteria and Point System. For selection you must satisfy program entrance requirements outlined in the Application Steps below. Program entry is once each academic year: Fall term (August), with the program then running 24 consecutive months.
APPLICATION FILES MUST BE COMPLETED BY MAY 15 EACH YEAR.
On the day following the application deadline, your file will be sent to the Sonography Admissions Committee for consideration. Once the file is sent to the committee, it will be closed to additional information. Incomplete files will not be considered for program admission. All applicants will be notified by mail of their status in the program.
A file ready for the Admissions Committee review must include:
- Health Sciences Application to the Sonography Program
- $25 application fee paid
- All unofficial college transcripts - from all colleges attended, including EFSC
- Proof of licensure/registry, in your field (if applicable)
- Proof of work experience (if applicable)
- Recommendation Letters
- TEAS scores
- Advising Card (if applicable)
- Observation/interview requirement completed (Due to Spring 2017 exams, must be done by April 25 this term)
- Group Information Session attended (if applicable)
Important Note: The Applicant is responsible for providing all required information prior to the deadline date, including all photocopies, to the Health Sciences Admission Office.
Click application topic for complete information
Apply and Submit Application Materials
Complete the online Health Sciences Institute Application for Diagnostic Medical Sonography Technology. This application must be submitted by the application deadline, after you have become an EFSC student. There is a $25 fee for the application. Applicants who have never attended EFSC or who have not attended EFSC in over a year also must apply or readmit to the College.
Applicants must submit:
- An UNOFFICIAL copy of each and every college transcript is required with the Diagnostic Medical Sonography application. Unofficial EFSC transcripts can be accessed at www.floridashines.org .
- A copy of your current licensure/registry in your health or nursing field (if applicable)
- Proof of Work experience in your field (if applicable)
- A typed one page essay should be submitted. The topic is: "Why I would like to become a Sonographer"
- Submit 2 Recommendation Letters
- TEAS scores
- Advising Card (if applicable)
The above must be submitted to the Health Science Admissions Office (Melbourne, Building 15, Room 101) by the application deadline.
Required College Courses (before program start/Fall term)
The following college level courses must be completed with a "C" or higher in order for the applicant to enter into the professional phase (program core classes):
- General Biology (with lab) *
- Anatomy and Physiology I & II (with lab) *
- College Algebra (or higher)
- Physics *
- English Composition
- Medical Terminology
- Introduction to Healthcare
(* Must be completed within 5 years of application deadline.)
Other coursework required for graduation:
- General Psychology I or Sociology
- Humanities Requirement
- Introduction to Computers
The TEAS test will be required to apply. See "Selection Criteria" for details.
Applicants are required to observe / shadow for eight hours in the EFSC Sonography Skills Lab. Prospective students should email the program manager, Dr. Harry Holdorf, to arrange their observation / shadowing experience. This experience can be done at any time during the application process; however, students are encouraged to complete this activity early, as space is limited. PLEASE NOTE: Due to exams, the final day to do observations this spring is April 25.
Candidates who partake in the observation / shadowing experience will be interviewed immediately after they have completed their 8 hours of observation.
Students accepted into the Diagnostic Medical Sonography program will be required to undergo a background check and drug screening. Applicants must be drug-free and free of offenses that would disqualify them from the student clinical experience in a healthcare setting. Certain immunizations will also be required.
The background check will include Residence History, Nationwide Sexual Offenders Registry
search and Florida Statewide Criminal Records search. The cost of the background check
and drug screening is the responsibility of the student. The program coordinator will
provide the necessary paperwork to begin the process, once the student has been accepted
into the program.
Explore other post-acceptance requirements.