Practical Nursing Entrance Test & Selection Point System
All applicants must take the TEAS (Test of Essential Academic Skills) prior to the application deadline. The Nursing RN (including Transition RN) and LPN programs require a Reading Comprehension score of 69% and an Adjusted Individual Total (overall) score of 58.7% on the TEAS to be considered for program admission. Several testing dates are scheduled prior to the application deadline. To find the most up-to-date TEAS test schedule, visit EFSC's Health Program TEAS Testing web page. Additionally, the TABE test is a second testing requirement for this program. Information about the TABE test or an exemption can be found on the TABE test's web page. Seating is limited for both of these tests.
EFSC Nursing Programs TEAS Test Policy: The RN Nursing, Transition RN Nursing and Practical Nursing programs will only consider TEAS test scores taken once per year (the first attempt within said year will be used) for application consideration into a nursing program by the application deadline. Test scores are valid for two years.
Click categories for Selection Criteria information.
Grade Point Average
Applicants are required to have at least a 2.5 cumulative GPA by the application deadline. For the College GPA to be used, at least 12 credit
hours of college courses must be completed with 4 credits in a science (with lab).
Students are responsible for providing the Health Sciences and Nursing Admissions
and Advising office with copies of their unofficial transcripts from all colleges
attended, including EFSC. Faxed transcripts will not be accepted.
Work Experience/Health Science Education
Bonus points for relevant work experience may be earned in only one of the following areas:
One year of full-time work experience in a related Health Sciences field
Graduate of a Health Science Program one semester or less in length, with six (6) months' full-time work experience in the graduated field
* A Health Experience Form completed by your supervisor, confirming your job position, dates worked, and job
responsibility is required for points to be awarded. Any Health Science programs not
evident on a transcript should be documented by providing a copy of the Certificate
of Completion or other official documentation. Work experience is calculated based
on the start date of employment, must meet the length requirement and have been completed
within 3 years of the application deadline.
NOTE: All health related work experience must involve direct patient care to count for points.
TABE Test or Degree Completion
Applicants qualify for 5 points in only ONE of the following three areas:
1. TABE (Test for Adult Basic Education) is required by the Florida Department of Vocational Education as an exit exam to graduate from Vocational programs. The required score to obtain for graduation is 11th grade level in all three sections – Reading, Language & Mathematics. Applicants obtaining TABE test scores equal to or higher than the minimum level of 11th grade for Reading, Language, and Mathematics prior to the application deadline will be awarded 5 points. TABE scores are good for two years.
Applicants obtaining scores lower than the minimum should take their profile sheets
to any EFSC Campus Learning Lab for remediation to improve their test scores before
program completion. NOTE: The TABE test can be taken only ONCE every 6 months.
2. TABE exemption: Check with any EFSC testing office for information about TABE exemption and also view the exemption information online. Students must provide a copy of their TABE exemption form by the application deadline.
3. Degree completion: Students who have already earned an AA degree, or higher, will be exempt from the TABE test. Applicants must provide copy of the diploma, degree and/or transcript to confirm the degree earned. Obtaining a TABE exemption, that confirms the earned degree, can also be used, and must be provided by the deadline.
Bonus Courses for Points
Specific courses relevant to program admission (listed below) will be awarded bonus points, if completed prior to the application deadline. These courses only apply towards program admission, and are not required to graduate from the LPN program. Each course is worth a maximum of 5 points. An earned grade of "A" is worth 5 points, a "B" is worth 4 points, and a "C" is worth 3 points. All courses MUST be completed with a grade of "C" or better by the application deadline.
1. College Credit Courses: Sciences
The following science courses must have been completed within the last five (5) years to qualify for points:
• Anatomy & Physiology I (includes Lab)
• Anatomy & Physiology II (includes Lab)
*Separate points will be awarded for EACH grade earned in Anatomy & Physiology courses with lab. Your first passed attempt within the year requirement will be used. You can inquire with a Nursing & Health Science Advisor, regarding possible exceptions to this year rule. In order to take these science courses at EFSC, you must pass BSCC1010 General Biology.
2. College Credit Courses: Electives (no year requirement)
- Success Strategies for College & Life (SLS 1101) *New for 2017 applicants
- Introduction to Health Care (HSCC1000)
- Medical Terminology (HSC1531 OR HSC1532). *If you take both courses, the highest grade earned will be used.
Military Service Points
Two years or more of military service will receive 2 points. (must show proof of service)
Equal Access Policy
Eastern Florida State College is dedicated to providing a nondiscriminatory environment which promotes equal access, equal educational opportunity, and equal employment opportunity to all persons regardless of age, race, national origin, color, ethnicity, genetic information, religion, sex, gender preference, pregnancy, disability, marital status, veteran status, ancestry, or political affiliation in its programs, activities, or employment.
EFSC recognizes the rights of students and applicants with disabilities, including those with hepatitis B, under the protections of the Americans with Disabilities Act and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act.