Questions about Practical Nursing?
Health Sciences Admissions Office:
Health Sciences Program Advisors:
Applying for Practical Nursing
Thank you for your interest in the Practical Nursing Program, a twelve (12) month clock-hour certificate program which prepares students to become a Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN). The deadline to apply is every September 1st, and the program begins in January. Classes will be held on the Melbourne Campus beginning in January of 2017.
For selection, students MUST satisfy entrance requirements. Applicants are evaluated for admission based upon the Selection Criteria and Point System.
Applying to Practical Nursing
1. Complete the application for admission to Eastern Florida State College
Students who are new to Eastern Florida State College should complete the application for general admission prior to the application deadline. There is a $30 non-refundable application fee for general admission that must be submitted at the time of application to the college. This application can be completed online. Complete all admissions requirements, including placement testing, with the General Admissions office.
Students who have not attended EFSC within the last two years will need to submit a readmit application.
2. Submit transcripts to General Admissions
Transcripts: ALL OFFICIAL college and/or high school transcripts or GED scores must be sent to:
College Admissions Office
Eastern Florida State College
1519 Clearlake Road
Cocoa, FL 32922
- Transfer students: Request all previously attended colleges to send a final, official copy of college transcripts to the EFSC General Admission's Office. These transcripts must be received and evaluated before the application deadline. Please note that EFSC will not evaluate transcripts if courses are still in progress at a previous institution. Additionally, students who are listed as "non-degree seeking" at EFSC should request the Admissions office to indicate their minors as "the program they are applying for" (ex: Nursing RN) so that transcripts will be evaluated accordingly. Points will not be awarded for courses that do not appear on the student's EFSC unofficial transcript by the application deadline.
- International students: Students who attended high school and/or college in a country other than the United States, must speak to the International Student Service Advisor to determine any further steps that must be taken to evaluate their grade point average and transfer credits.
- If no previous college coursework: Take the College Placement Test with the EFSC testing center at your local campus. If applicable, all required prep courses must be exited prior to the application deadline. See a general admissions specialist for more information.
3. Complete the online application for the Practical Nursing Program
Complete the Practical Nursing online application with the Institute of Nursing. A $25 non-refundable fee for this application will be charged to the student's EFSC account, which can
be paid online or at the cashier's office, no later than the deadline.
4. Submit TEAS Test scores
Applicants must take the Test of Essential Academic Skills prior to the deadline.
The test is valid for 2 years. Only the first attempt within 1 year will be used.
(See TEAS Test page for test version, dates, information and registration.) Students must submit their
scores to the Health Science and Nursing Admissions office before the deadline.
5. Submit Verification of Health-Related Experience form
6. Take the TABE test
Applicants should take the Test for Adult Basic Education prior to the deadline and
submit a copy of their results with their application packet. See TABE testing for details.
7. Complete application files by September 1
After the deadline, applicants will not be allowed to submit any additional information for their file. Incomplete files will not be considered for program admission. All applicants will be notified by mail of their status in the program 6-8 weeks after the deadline.
An UNOFFICIAL copy of every college transcript is required with Health Science application by the deadline. Unofficial EFSC transcripts can be accessed at http://www.floridashines.org/. Please see the Selection Criteria for additional application material required.
A file ready for the Admissions Committee review must include:
- Online Application to the Practical Nursing Program.
- All college transcripts, including EFSC.
- TABE scores
- TEAS scores
- Work Experience form (if applicable)
- Military Experience (if applicable)
The Applicant is responsible for providing all required information prior to the deadline date, including all photo copies.
8. Equal Access Policy
Eastern Florida State College is dedicated to providing a nondiscriminatory environment which promotes equal access, equal educational opportunity, and equal employment opportunity to all persons regardless of age, race, national origin, color, ethnicity, genetic information, religion, sex, gender preference, pregnancy, disability, marital status, veteran status, ancestry, or political affiliation in its programs, activities, or employment.
EFSC recognizes the rights of students and applicants with disabilities, including those with hepatitis B, under the protections of the Americans with Disabilities Act and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act.