Online writing resources, including MLA and APA tips, are available on our LibGuides site.
Bringing your writing to life
The Melbourne Writing Center is a facility where students can get advice and assistance in every stage of the writing process, plus access supplemental writing workshops. An important component of the center is its active participation in the Writing Across the Curriculum (WAC) Program. Students enrolled in college-level courses across all disciplines can confer with writing consultants to strengthen their writing skills.
Consultations are by appointment (each appointment lasts approximately 45 minutes). The Center staff tries to accommodate walk-in clients, but those who make appointments have priority. To make an appointment, please call or email us (see the Contact Us box in upper right).
We suggest you bring the following items when you meet with a consultant:
- A printed version of the latest draft of your written work
- Instructor's assignment guidelines
- A flash drive so you can save any changes or corrections you make during the consultation
- Printouts or photocopies of sources used
- A list of any questions or concerns
- Your copy of the college-wide handbook, A Writer's Reference
- An open mind and a willingness to accept constructive feedback
Please note that Writing Center consultants are not in a position to grade your writing. Our role is to help you find ways to improve your work. It is your instructor's responsibility to grade your assignments.