Frequently Asked TRiO Questions
Question 1: What types of academic support services are offered?
- Tutoring: one-on-one, group, and final exam review sessions
- Workshops: Financial Literacy, Study Skills, Academic Probation, and TRiO Orientation
- Academic Advisement: registration, mid-term progress reports, and transfer advisement.
- T.I.T.A.N.S.- (Teaching Individuals to Access Needed Support). This is designed for students who are facing academic difficulty and need help with getting back on track. Intensive monitoring and support service referrals will be provided to enhance overall academic performance.
- Transfer advisement and assistance: Sophomores Accessing Institutional Liaisons (S.A.I.L) is a component designed to assist students who are Associate in Arts degree seekers having already earned 30 college credits with plans to transfer to a 4-year college or university. Sponsored college and university trips within the state of Florida are provided at no cost to participants. Most trips are one day experiences that do not conflict with scheduled classes.
Question 2: What types of major and career support services are offered?
- TRiO academic coaches assist students who may be undecided about a major and need additional help with researching various programs of interest at colleges and universities. Career assessments are strongly encouraged and referrals are provided through EFSC's campus-based career centers.
Question 3: What types of financial support services are offered?
Each year TRiO Student Support Services (SSS) provides a number of scholarships to students who are SSS participants (Supplemental Grant Aid). In order to qualify, students must:
- Actively participate in the SSS program for at least one full year.
- Be a Pell Grant recipient.
- Be in good academic standing.
- Have a federally defined unmet financial need.
- Complete a financial literacy module or essay explaining your involvement in the TRiO program and how these funds will assist you with your educational needs.
- Scholarship Information: Get assistance in finding grants and scholarships and provide letters of recommendation as required by the college's STARS system.
- Financial Aid Advisement:
- Assist with understanding the FAFSA web-based application
- Provide support with understanding the financial aid appeals process and filing the necessary paperwork
TRiO-Student Support Services
Building 12, Room 308
1519 Clearlake Rd.
Cocoa, FL 32933
Hearing Impaired: 1-800-955-8770 (Voice)